Monday, March 31, 2014

Three bar night: 1st nice bikeride of spring.

Like a week or 2 ago the weather broke and I took a nice bikeride and ended up hitting up 3 interesting bars west of me, getting out towards city limits -

I walked into one bar on the outskirts of a heavily latino neighborhood and discovered it was a vestigial bar patronized by (white) working class townies.  A Miller Lite draft was $1.50, and the keg was still green from St. Patrick's day.  They had a very cute and quietly friendly bardog "Hank" that would hop up on the stool next to me and want her head petted.  The bartender gave her a shot of Jaeger and an aging (white) (Catholic) patron warned me that she was a mean drunk (he was kidding).


That same patron also told me that Chinese families are buying up homes in the area; they pool money in clans of 20+ people and swoop in to buy foreclosed real estate in cash and then rent it out to other Chinese people till the market recovers and they sell it and make a huge profit.

Also, another aging (Mexican-American) patron told me that he drives his motorcycle best when he's buzzed.


The 2nd bar that night was on the outskirts of a (black) ghetto, and was patronized by all the older (black) folks who were there when the neighborhood was good. I gave them my usual bullshit excuse about being out for a bikeride and popping in for a beer at the halfway point, and that got a 90 year old guy saying he used to bike on a Sear's bike an hour and a half in 1942 from Vicksburg, Mississippi, to Jackson, Mississippi, in order to work at a White Castle, and everyone started arguing that not only was that length of bikeride every day for a job unrealistic, but that Sear's and White Castle didn't even exist back then.

The 3rd bar that night was Latino, and I spoke Spanish with the bartender, this older round-faced woman with shoulder-length bleached blonde hair and olive skin.  She told me that domestics were $3 and imported $4, but they did have one beer for $2, and when I said I'd take that, she pulled out a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (a really nice craft beer).  When I told her that that beer was good and should be $4, she kind of went "oh!" and had a soft, surprised look on her face, then she shrugged.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

White castle opened in 1921. First Sears catalog was 1888