Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pop culture thoughts (1 of 2): “Umbrella”.

The other day I heard Rihanna’s “Umbrella” and it took me back to my early years of my degree program and the bad-ass karaoke that me and my one (white) friend from Mississippi used to go to, and because of that I became wistful and remembered how happy and carefree I was back when "Umbrella" was playing on the radio all the time.

I then texted my one (white) friend from Mississippi about how much fun karaoke was and how everything somehow seemed different now somehow, and he replied –

I often think about that.  Not necessarily about [the karaoke hostess], but what it was that made us so happy and carefree.  We’ve had our fun if we never get well no more.

At that text, I was shocked – not only that he’s thought again about that time in our lives, but that he’s thought about it often, and specifically about why we were happier somehow then compared to now.


It’s not just me, to notice some change.

No comments: