Sunday, March 2, 2014

A visit to the local supermarket: Met an older (white) lady.



The other Monday I went to the supermarket after a long day of working from home – I often go around 7 or 8pm; the place is close by, and is open till 10pm – and I was picking through the on-sale  $.69/lb vine-ripened tomatoes when an older (white) woman w/short hair and lots of gold jewelry and a slightly sparkly black top and matte black pants moved in beside me, and I immediately said, “Sorry,” and gave her room.

“No need to say ‘Sorry,’ hon,” she was like.  “You were here, and I’m here now.”

Then, after a short pause, she was like, “But I’m from New York, maybe I’m just different like that.”

Then, she was like, “And these are good prices.  You can only get better in New York’s Chinatown, and barely even then.”

“I know,” I was like. “That zucchini is forty-nine cents a pound for the second week in a row.  I got some last week, and it’s really good quality, too.”

Then, I added that the prices were so good, my grocery bill was like twenty to thirty bucks a week, unless it was a week when I was buying bricks of coffee or a big bag of rice or a new tin of olive oil because I had finally run out of it or something like that.

“What, are you a vegetarian?”, she was like.

“No, I just cook cheap at home, I’d rather get a hamburger out at a bar or something,” I was like.

“Oh,” she said.

Next thing I know, I run into her over by the carrots, and she asked me what I was buying so many carrots for.

“I don’t like breakfast foods,” I said, “So in the morning I have home-made hummus on toast, and I cut up raw carrots and eat that along with it, that’s what I tend to eat on weekdays.”

“What do you put in there?  Garbanzo beans you soak yourself?” –

“Yeah.”

- “Tahini?” –

“Yeah.”

- “Some garlic and olive oil?” –

“Yeah.”

“That’s nice,” she was like.

Like a minute later, we ran into each other over by the grapefruit.

“Ten for a dollar,” she was like.  “Can you believe that?  But those lemons are expensive.”

I then asked her if she was still in New York, or like how long ago she had moved to the city.

“I still live there,” she was like.  “But my son lives here in [a neighborhood about 12 blocks west].  I come down here to go to the dollar store across the street, Mondays is half off, and I always shop here, the prices are so good.”

Then, she was like, “And did you know that if you buy more than fifty bucks they’ll drive you home?”

“Really?”, I was like.  “Is that like a thing?”.

“I don’t know,” she was like, “Maybe they just do it for me.  The driver’s a real nice guy, his son is Mexican too and is on full scholarship to Lawrence.  That’s where the Kennedies go.”

“Good for that kid,” I was like.  “His dad must be very proud.”

At that point I moved away to get green peppers and our shopping trips didn’t synch up again, but later I was picking out cucumbers and I noticed her over by the wall by this door that I had never noticed before and must be the store office, and there was this older (Mexican) guy talking with her and some younger (Mexican) guy standing with them too.

“You’re the best,” the older (Mexican) guy was telling the older (white) woman.

“No, *he’s* the best!”, she said, pointing to the younger (Mexican) guy.

“No, *you’re* the best,” the older (Mexican) guy told the older (white) woman again.

“No, *he’s* the best!”, she said, pointing to the younger (Mexican) guy and laughing.

After I checked out, I was double-checking my bill and then went to return my cart in the rack outside the doors, and just as I was walking past the main entrance again, the older (white) woman emerged with the younger (Mexican) guy.

“This is my friend,” she was like.  “He’s the man whose son goes to Lawrence.”

“Congratulations,” I was like.  “That’s quite an achievement.”

“You live near here?”, he was like.

“Yeah, just a few blocks that way.”

He then offered me a ride too, but I patted my belly and laughed and said I could use the exercise, and we all parted ways.

No comments: