Sunday, February 16, 2014

Am impressed by people on the Couchsurfing site.

The other week I was thinking of a long weekend trip to a city north of me, so I signed up for the Couchsurfing site.

I am *very* surprised at how cool the people are on there.  I floated a request, and one guy (a doctor in residency) had a cousin in town and couldn't host, but the other couple (a musician and a doctor) were super cool and said I could sleep on the floor of their office if I needed to.

There's some scruffy artists and travelers who look like they'd get drunk and throw up all over your shit, but mostly it seems like cool, open-minded, level-headed people.

I didn't end up going, but the one couple said to email them any time!

Also, I put down on my profile about how I give private lessons in dead languages, and I think the quirkiness is a selling point, since people are looking to have interesting guests who are considerate and mature.

On my profile, I even said that if I ever moved on to hosting, I'd be happy to read dead languages with any guests, if anyone had attained an intermediate proficiency in them, or to discuss cult memoirs, if I had read the same ones as anyone.

(On the site, they want to know if you have anything you can teach people who you meet.)

No comments: