Thursday, January 23, 2014

Trip Home to Mich (3 of 5): Unrestrained parents.



One day I had a ton of work to get done online at the local library, and so I was way late to some friends’ family house, who had invited me and my parents by for a late lunch of 3pm burgers.

When I finally got there at like 7pm, my parents had already been gone for around 40 minutes, but everyone was talking about all the stories my dad had told about his childhood and when my parents owned the bar.

I guess when they were refugees in Germany their hosts had a rabbit farm, and so my dad got to see rabbits skinned all the time.

Then, when he owned the bar, some customer who he had known for a while had shot a rabbit when hunting but didn’t want to skin it, so my dad took it back in the bar kitchen and skinned it for him and then brought it out back into the bar where everyone was drinking and gave it to him.

Also, when my dad and my 2 uncles were little and didn’t want to eat something, their mom (my grandmother) used to get right up in their face and would yell at them in Hungarian, “Eat it, it all becomes shit anyways!”

No comments: