Thursday, January 30, 2014

More from that same night.



That same night, I was telling my one Asian-Canadian friend that I was very turned off by the Mexican prison nun Mother Antonia’s accent, and from old clips of her on YouTube, I couldn’t help perceive her but as an older boozy Beverly Hills housewife.

“I know you read bios to get closer to people,” he was like, “But you have to remember that that isn’t necessarily a substitute for experience, and if you were with her and actually experienced her, it might have all made sense, in person,” which totally challenged me, but I found true somehow, and beautiful.

Also that same night, I got re-acquainted with the one Swiss grad student who I had met at a similar event like a month earlier and who had been surprised by my knowledge of Switzerland.

He vaguely remembered meeting me, and then when I started relating my Switzerland factoids that I had shared with him, he got surprised all over again, and was like, “How do you know so much about Switzerland?”.

He then said that the previous month he had actually ended up vomiting outside on the street after the bar closed, the people in Romance Languages had done so many shots together.

No comments: