Monday, July 8, 2013

Two (Three?) Outdoor Classical Music Festival People:



1) The one usher lady who I know from previous years (“Conchita”) told me that she’ll sneak me into seats farther forward, if a new seating policy goes into effect and more seats are reserved for season ticket holders.

2) (and 3]?) This slouched over, bald (white) older gentleman in handicapped seating in the row in front of me who was using a walker and wearing this cute little black suit had this gigantic program with the name of the first piece on it, which I thought was nice for the festival to provide him with, since he must have been visually impaired but wanting to read the program. 

Then, between the 1st and 2nd pieces, the wife of the (white) (hippy) couple next to me (who had said she loves to people watch) whispered, “Did you see that old man with the score?  I wonder who he is.”

As it turns out, the gigantic program the elderly gentleman had wasn’t a festival program for the visually impaired, but a score that he was following along with as the orchestra played.

He did that for each piece attentively, except for the last cantata, where he set down the score for the last few pages so he could listen to the “big finish”, then he jumped to his feet and clapped.

No comments: