Tuesday, June 4, 2013

(Black) women at a subway stop.


A few months ago, I just missed a subway train, and as I was at the bottom of the stairs, I saw a very tall and heavy (white) man in a sports jersey pound a few times on the just-closed doors, as the train went to move away.

From the way he moved, I could tell he was really drunk, and he staggered over to some younger (black) woman who was waiting for a train the opposite direction and who he was much larger than, and he said something nonsensical to her in a kind of threatening way...

I edged up to the far end of the platform, keeping them in my eye, in case I needed to run up the stairs there, either to get help for her, or to avoid him.

Luckily he left her alone, and staggered and slouched over to the other side of the platform down at the other end of the platform.

Then, another younger (black) woman came down the stairs, and was going to go down to where the really drunk guy was, so I quietly called over to her and told her to be careful, since there was a really big drunk guy down at the other end who was approaching people in a weird and threatening way.

She looked down where he was, composed herself and got all meek, and went down past him without him noticing her.

Then, a few minutes later, these three older (black) women come down the stairs, and they also went to head in the direction of the really drunk guy, so I also quietly called over to them and told them to be careful.

“Don’t worry baby,” the one was like, “We got you covered,” and she dug in her purse and pulled out a big container of pepper spray.

“Oh no, not again!”, one of her friends cried out, and started laughing.

“Seriously,” the first woman was like, “Thanks for the warning, but don’t worry about us, we know what to do.”

Then, they began walking down toward the big drunk (white) guy just as my train started pulling up.

No comments: