Sunday, April 7, 2013

Grocery store story: Cashier "Adam".

The other day I popped into a grocery store to get some dark chocolate and cheddar cheese (the one for dessert, the other for grilled cheeses to go with some cabbage soup I had whipped up).

The cashier was this very calm (middle-aged) (thin) (African) woman, and her nametag said "Adam".

When I got up to the front of the line, I asked her if her name was really "Adam".

"Oh yes," she was like, "I am from Gambia, Adam is a unisex name there."

"Cool," I was like.  "Then is your husband Eve?".

She laughed, and was like "No, I am not married!".

"All right," I was like, "Then is your boyfriend Eve?".

And, at that comeback, she laughed even harder.

Africans can have such weird senses of humor, but I appreciate how they laugh at everything.

No comments: