Friday, February 1, 2013

Downtown Starbucks (2 of 2): Liberal Dutchman.

Later, after another sample, I started talking with the non-MBA guy at my table, who had turned to writing out expensive photo cards in some non-English Germanic language, though I had a hard time telling what it was b/c of his writing.

I suspected German, but I asked, and it turned out he was Dutch, and was a businessman living in the city.

We chit-chatted some, and he was from Rotterdam, and so I gushed about how it was my favorite city I saw in the Netherlands on my 16 day vacation around my Dutch friend's wedding.

"It was so cool and diverse," I was like.

"And the modern architecture," he added.

"But more than that," I was like, "You really felt that all the non-ethnically Dutch Dutch citizens were really part of the life of the city.  And didn't Rotterdam have a Moroccan mayor?"

"Yes," he was like.  "I'm surprised you noticed all that."

"How can a person not?  It's very different from other Dutch cities," I was like.

"And it's the way that they all should be," he said, finally.

No comments: