Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Book excerpt: Fundamentalist Mormon homelife.

I forgot a lot of this stuff in "God's Brothel" (e.g. p. 161, about polygamist Mormons in Montana) -

When Sylvia was nearing her 13th birthday, her father married Vera, a 14-year-old girl, as his second wife.  "Rulon Allred, the now-martyred prophet, married that child to my father," Sylvia says.  "I can remember my mother sewing her wedding dress.  It was green dotted Swiss."

With a new wife crammed into the family trailer, privacy was at a minimum.  "My mom would walk past the two of them french kissing on the couch.  One night I found my mother hitting herself with a hair brush so she wouldn't think about it," says Sylvia.  "The rest of the time, Mom had to teach Vera home skills like another child.  Then Vera had a son right away."

. . .

No comments: