Friday, December 21, 2012

Newtown Shootings: My one British friend's take.

The other day I ran into my one (half-British) (half-Sudanese) (Muslim) friend at the gym.

"Did you hear about the school shootings?", he was like, and when I said yes, he said, "All those children were white, and so was the gunman, I really wonder if this is a white cultural thing.  They always say it's a male, he had mental problems, but they never mention that he's always white."

"Gun violence affects young black men, too," I was like.

"Yes," he was like, "But you don't see them going into places and shooting a ton of random people up."

I then said that he was using the term 'white' very loosely, as if there was a unified white culture across space and time.

(He's into anthropology, and likes it when people make points like that.)

"You know," he was like, "You're very right, I should watch what I say.  It's only Muslims who are always the baddies everywhere."

No comments: