Saturday, November 3, 2012

WI volunteering last weekend (3 of 3): Ex-felons.

One woman who came to the door said her husband (who was the listed voter) wasn't home, and when I started talking with her, as her young child ran around, she said she couldn't vote since she was a felon.

So, I asked, and she said she was off parole 5 years ago, and I said I could double-check at the office, but I was pretty sure she could vote now.

"Really?", she was like, and she gave me her cell #.

I checked, and the people at the office said she could vote, and said that if she was "off paper" she was good.

"What's that?", I was like.

"No parole, no probation, nothing," the (white) staffer said.  "That's the phrase that people use and they tell us to use it when checking with people."

So, I called the woman back, and she was off paper, so I told her to do the same-day registration with the forms of ID that I had marked on the leaflet that I had left her.

I was sad, though, that she had not been able to vote 4 years ago, because of misinformation.

Then, a few days later, I found out that the Romney camp was spreading misinformation that felons could never vote again, and that made me just sick.

The older I get, I don't get why everyone can't vote.  If anyone's vote should get taken away, it's all those fatcats in the banks who crashed the economy and made millions, only people like them never get prosecuted.

Why shouldn't someone with kids like the woman I met have a choice over elected officials who will affect her child's future, even if she's in prison or on probation or on parole or whatever?

No comments: