Monday, October 29, 2012

Seeing Don Hertzfeldt.

A while ago I had a chance to see Don Hertzfeldt live after a screening of his films.

I had seen some of his animation here and there for a while, and since it was so viciously funny and very mature, I had assumed he was in his late 60s and had experienced a ton of life.

Instead, he was around my age.

Interestingly, he keeps a log of his dreams and things that happen to him in everyday life, and many are directly given to characters in his films.

His new film "It's Such a Beautiful Day" was amazing - it picks up the story of a character he developed in 2 previous films, and to see them all one after another was amazing.

I think his film is showing again at the art film house downtown next month, I might go see it again.  Since I saw it, I've flashed back to it several times, especially the last minutes of the last film, it was so amazing, just like I've often thought back to parts of Almodovar's "The Skin I Live In", which was perhaps the best film that I saw this past year.

No comments: