Sunday, September 9, 2012

...DNC memories...

The last night of the DNC was great.

I was at the student bar, and Joe Biden made me tear up like 3-4 times, and by the time Obama spoke, like half of the bar staff, some random students, and like 4-5 local (African-American) people who live in the neighborhood and 2-3 local (white) people who live in the neighborhood were all at the bar glued to the screen and laughing and clapping and cheering and (in the case of a couple African-American women), shouting, "That's right!".

Afterwards, I talked with 2 local (African-American) women for like ever and me and one of them traded off buying each other rounds of drinks, and one of the bartenders, who's originally from Wisconsin, got me my 3rd whiskey for free, I think out of appreciation for my going up there and volunteering for the recall and now for the general election.

The 1 local (African-American), who's in her 50s and a waitress, began to preach at my black-style about the injustices of the world, and she started tearing in to gangs and wailing the fate of the inner city and how the Army takes up poor young people and kills them and wastes their talent.

"Bring them back here," she was like, "Bring them back here.  Englewood needs them, not Afghanistan."

She made me cry. 

No comments: