Saturday, August 11, 2012

More rice problems.

The other day I got out the coffee can to get some rice out, and a bug scurried across the top.

So, I put all the coffee cans full of rice in my freezer, to freeze the bugs to death.

After that, I sorted through the rice on a plate with the tines of a fork, in order to pick out bugs, and I found small rice-colored larva, too, as many as like 6-8 bugs and larva in like a half cup of dry rice.

Since that was so time-consuming, I went and bought a strainer, and now I sift the rice with the strainer and then pour water down through it, to get out the larva and bugs, which are smaller than the rice grains...

The 1st time I sifted, in fact, as I shook the rice around in the strainer, I saw a small pale larva kind of fall through and float through the air into the sink.

I'm surprising ungrossed out by eating the rice, since I figure bugs are in a lot of the food we eat anyways.

I also feel that it's important to do this and be in solidarity with the world's poor. 

I wonder if the people I met "when I was in Africa" would be so hasty to through out rice there?

No comments: