Sunday, August 5, 2012

Learning Polish (1 of 2): Help from a Native Speaker.

Like 2 months ago, I hung out with a friend of my one lawyer friend from Missouri, and her friend, who is a(n early 30s) (Polish) woman who is nanny to her nephews...  That was like the 2nd time we had hung out, and since the friend of my one lawyer friend from Missouri had brought along a Slovak friend of hers who was in town for business, we ended up all talking about how hard Polish was to pronounce, and the fun Polish nanny had us do tongue-twisters, and between that and my realizing how cool so many young Polish people are, that inspired me to start learning phrases in the language.

So, when we were going to all hang out for drinks, I brought my little Polish-English phrasebook I had gotten from the library, and the fun Polish nanny helped teach us phrases like, "You are beautiful," and, "Buy me a beer, beautiful."

I was on a high from that, that was so much fun, and I later texted my one modern Czech literature professor friend to tell her how I was taught how to say in Polish, "Buy me a beer, beautiful", and she texted back -

But you could say that with just your eyes.

. . .

No comments: