Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Year-end lesson was a bomb.

For my year-end lesson for my homeschooler, I surprised her with an activity where we translated "My Heart Will Go On" into Latin, but it ended up being a bomb despite fun conversations like:

1) When Celine says "every night in my dreams/ I see you/ I feel you", what kind of "feel" is she talking about - like 'sense', or like 'touch'?  After my homeschooler said 'sense' and then gave reasons why, I was like, "And if she meant 'touch', the movie *definitely* wouldn't have gotten a PG-13 rating."

2) We had to decide what "go on" means, in the phrase "my heart will go on".  We opted for the "continue/persevere" sense; it made sense in all the instances of usage in the song.

3) We had to take seriously the phrase "Love was when I loved you", which I'm still not sure what it means.

She was just overworked and tired, though, and she really doesn't like Latin, so she just didn't enjoy it.  We had had a late afternoon lesson, and I wonder if she would have enjoyed it more if we had had a morning start time when she's usually fresher.

As I told her when she just looked tired and annoyed, "You'll look back on this when you're older and realize how much fun it was."

No comments: