Friday, July 6, 2012

Carmina Burana (2 of 2): Poems for my students...

Because the poems were delightful and short and many of them were grammatically rather simple, I found a booklet of them at the library and made a photocopy of one for a student to present at my lesson, since he's 2/3 of the way through his Latin textbook he's self-studying from, and can handle the grammar, and has been enjoying the selected grammatically-simple (Classical) poems that the textbook presents.

He liked that, so I just went and scanned the rest of the lyrics and emailed it to him and told him to bring it to lessons and we could do that translation on an ad hoc basis if he sailed through a lesson.  He wrote back:

Thanks!  I’ll print a copy before our next lesson so we can peruse. I’ll also get to the library either today after work or tomorrow at lunch to pick up the dictionary and will get to work on the translation.  Great idea, by the way.  I’m very excited about this.  

 He is like mid-20s, graduated from a good state school, and works at a dept. on campus, and is learning Latin recreationally...  He's paying me $30/hour for me to show up and correct his homework and supplement the textbook as needed (though we usually just meet for 30-40min. a week, so I just make a quick $15-20), so I was hoping this would get him enthused even more, and that way when he finishes the textbook he'll hire me on for maybe $40/hour (justifiable because of the extra lesson prep) to do translation with me.

It seems to have worked!  And it's so much fun, too.

No comments: