Thursday, July 12, 2012

I love Polish young people.

I really like Polish-from-Poland young people I've met in the city.  They are affable, grounded, and so very open to the world...  You get the sense from them that they suspect deep down no-one really likes them, but they try to connect anyway.
There's something deeply humble about them, and you can tell that they are the Poland of the future, whereas the deeply patriarchal John Paul II was the Poland of the past. They also are cooler than Russians, on the whole, since there doesn't seem to be so many batshit crazy ones of them, and they also don't have a chip on their shoulder from recently having been an empire. One of my missions in my bar quest is to find out where the Polish gay bar is (or at least the bar where the Polish gay guys go), since there's so many of them there *must* be one in the city, like there's several Mexican gay bars, and even a bar where the Arabic-speaking gay men go (which, incidentally, is run by an older free-spirited Moroccan woman who laughs heartily and smokes and drinks up a storm and loves everyone; the bar has no name out front, just a small window with one neon beer sign, and is sandwiched between furniture and convenience stores on this nondescript strip and even though I know to look for it I pass it by sometimes). Anyhow, I ask around whenever I meet a Polish bartender, and they always says they don't know, though they know plenty of gay bars back in Krakow, Warsaw, etc., and they had gay roommates back there, etc. One (Polish) bartender who I connected with in this 1950s looking sportsbar that had a spaceshippy crystalline interior full of silvers, whites, and flashes of firey red and deep purple even did some googling in Polish for me on her iPhone and found out about a bar in the city that Polish gays had gone to up to a month ago, when it lost its liquor license, but she couldn't find anything else, and then she got my number, since she said she'd ask her (gay) (Polish) hairdresser for me. Anyhow, the other week at this neighborhood dive bar on the far far west side of the city I ran across this kind of bitchy (Polish) (female) bartender with a stocky but not fat body and a geometric haircut like Rihanna's, and I was going to skip the question, but I asked her anyways, and she said she had a gay cousin in a different neighborhood in the city, but she didn't know of any particular bars he went to, and then she drifted off to do her work, kind of standoffishly. When me and my friend who I was at the bar with left, though, my friend was polite and called out bye to the bartender, and she said bye to my friend, and then she looked at me and was like, "Good luck!", and her eyes flashed very genuine, and you could tell that she really meant it. I love Polish young people, that was so sweet of her.

No comments: