Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Nice gesture.

Over the past number of years, I've been trying to imitate the behavior of people I admire, and one of the things that I admire is people who are generous loaning out money in small ways, so I've been trying to do that, like by springing for the 1st pitcher of beer if you're out in a group or wherever.

Overall, I've found that people remember debts if you halfway know them and you run into them decently enough, so you're never really out any money, since it's all small amounts.

Anyways, the other week I was at a weekly informal school lunch-lecture function and an administrator from another division forgot her money, and since I know her from there, I volunteered to pay, and she could just get it back to me whenever.

The next week, I walk in to the lunch function, and the one (English) dean in my division waves me over, and she gives me an envelope from the other dean's division with the handwritten note "Delivered through the kindness of [my dean's name]", and inside was a note saying she couldn't come to the function that week and thanking me for loaning her the money, with not only the repayment, but the full price of another lunch, saying to enjoy herself on me!

I thought that was very nice.  I put the note on my fridge.

No comments: