Sunday, April 1, 2012

I got pissed on the phone the other day.

Money is really making me pissed off lately.

It's been like 4 years since I've had my teeth cleaned and I need that and I think a filling, so I got the 6-month 2-dental cleanings policy my school recommends (= around $258).

By the time I got on top of this, it was already 2 weeks into the 6-month period and approaching the deadline, and because the website was confusing, I called them up to clarify how long it would take my check to reach them so I could make an appt.

I did that, then called back in a week-and-a-half to see if they had received/cleared the check, when the person helping me out had to check on something, and then told me that there was a mistake on the website, and that that PO Box has closed down and I'd need to cancel the check, send them another one, and then after *that* check cleared, make my appointment.

I asked if they could pro-rate my policy, extend it, or mark me as paid, so I could make my 1st dental cleaning right away, and be in time to make my second.

She said that wasn't possible, and after some chat, transferred me, but I got disconnected.

I called back and double-checked the info, and that person who answered the phone said if I was worried about getting in a 2nd appointment, I should just get the year-long policy (which costs twice as much).

That set me off, so I was like, "Where do you get off telling a poor student to shell out more money, when it's you guys who have unacceptable business practices and made a major fuck-up that's delaying my services that I can barely afford anyhow."

She then said that if I continued that type of language she'd be forced to hang up on me.

Later on, I did speak to someone higher up, and she said to try to see if the dentist would set up an appt. for me now, and only check to see if the check cleared a day or two before the appt.

Fortunately, I did that, and it worked.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

please do no use the F bomb when talking to customer service. I would have immediately said "Please call back after you have composed yourself and can discuss this situation without using foul language, click.

el blogador said...

What I disliked was that she just suggested I get the year-long plan, as if I could afford it just like that. Whenever someone with a stable job and benefits tells me that I can afford something that's incidental to them but not to me, that sets me off.

Anonymous said...

that is a lot of assumptions to justify bad manners. for all you know she is a temp that is underpaid. do you think she makes the rules for your dental plan?

el blogador said...

That's very true. I've just had several experiences where someone assumes I have more money than I have, and I'm sick of it.

el blogador said...

I also find it very convenient how insurance companies always make mistakes in their own favor - here, getting people onto the policy late will make it less likely that they will use the full extent of their benefits.