Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I'm reading Hebrew!

Yesterday as a reward to myself, in the morning I started reading the book of Ruth.

I went through the first 10 verses, and compared the Septuagint and Vulgate translations.

It was really the goal I had been wanting to achieve for about 5 years, to be able to consult/read the Hebrew text and understand funkiness in the Greek and Latin that was attributable to it.

Over break, now, before my Hebrew reading course starts up, I hope to read through the entire book of Ruth.

The funny part is, is that I won't need Hebrew for any research I foresee, but I do feel that it's a skill that I should have, and maybe I could co-teach a class someday by partnering with someone with more competency in the texts and Jewish and Christian interpretative traditions relating to those texts.

I also have had several fellow ph.d. students comment to me this past year that I know a lot of languages. It really does seem to be atypical, I'm realizing.

No comments: