Friday, December 2, 2011

A shitty meal in San Francisco.

So, one day during a break from the conference, I took a walk since it was nice out, and came across this price-y soup restaurant downtown that had signs outfront for being one of the "Ten Best Sandwich Places" etc. from local free newspapers, and they had all these signs up for how they use organic and locally-sourced ingredients.

So, I ordered "soup and sandwich" special, getting a steak sandwich on baguette and a bowl of fresh mushroom soup.

Honest to G-d, both the soup and the sandwich were so bland and underspiced it was unbelievable. I don't know what it was, but though both looked appetizing, they had very little natural taste, and almost no spicing. I almost went to return them, but I didn't, because then the people would have to throw them out.

Instead, I just put a lot of salt and pepper on them and made the best of it.

But, the entire time I was thinking, "This place is good?", and, "So you use locally-sourced ingredients, but shouldn't you at least know how to prepare them?:

What a *huge* disappointment. All the greasy spoon restaurants I went to (burgers, kebabs) were very ho-hum too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's actually kind of surprising.