Monday, December 5, 2011

A memory of San Francisco: Pigeons.

Coming back from Golden Gate Park and the ocean, I hopped off the bus like a 10-minute walk from my hotel, so I could walk through a different part of the city.

As it turns out, it was a very run-down area full of mentally-ill and homeless people, right around the UC-Hastings School of Law campus.

As I was walking around a corner, there was this huge flock of pigeons, and this old homeless (white) woman shuffling around in a circle muttering to herself "my children, my children..."

Then, as I walk by, the pigeons start flying up and I can't see anything, and suddenly this Rottweiler being walked by a (black) dude in a leather jacket leaps out at me and gets to the end of his leash and is pulled back in mid-air, like 2 feet from my hip.

Before I realize what's going on, the dog pivots and lunges again in the opposite direction, and picks a pigeon out of the air in mid-flight, and gets it down on the ground between its paws and starts crunching it as it spasms.

At that, the (white) homeless woman stops, and this other (white) homeless guy walks up fast to the (black) guy and starts shouting, "YOU CAN'T DO THAT HERE, YOU CAN'T DO THAT HERE, THAT IS ILLEGAL IN THIS CITY, YOU CAN'T DO THAT HERE...!!!"

And at that, I just picked up my pace and kept walking away as fast as I could.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What made you more uncomfortable: the people, the dying pigeon, or the dog?

el blogador said...

The people. You never know how mentally-ill people will react to unexpected situations.

I also didn't like that vicious dog jumping around trying to maul things.