Monday, October 3, 2011

Lesbian Nuns (8 of ???): Interview excerpt.

From “Alternative Community” – Sister Anne (1956-present; 310) – an interview -

Sister Anne: During the next ten years I went out with several men – mostly people in ministry – though I did have an intense affair with another community member. I was almost forty when I met Laura, a student at the University where I was chaplain. We were madly in love. I used to crawl through her dormitory window to sleep with her, often returning to the convent in the early morning – hoping no one had missed me. Sometimes she would stay over in my room; we’d prop the door closed with a chair since there were no locks. We were wild: making love on the kitchen floor, holding hands under the table during dinner with the community. And we were sworn to secrecy – nobody knew anything. It was intense for two years. Then the isolation and the constant fear of being discovered overwhelmed her.

Nancy: Yes, it’s hard to maintain a relationship under those conditions. So then?

Sister Anne: Then I met Marie. She came to a group Laura and I were forming to explore alternative religious communities. Little did we know...

. . .

No comments: