Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tutoree joke (1 of 2): "rubeo rubere..."

A few weeks ago my one home-schooled high school age tutoree was confused on how to translate the verb "to be quiet", since in English we translate it not with a verb per se, but rather a form of the verb "to be" + an adjective.

So, to help her get that concept, I told her the Latin word for "ruddy" was an adjective, so I could say rubrus sum ('I am ruddy') if I was talking about my complexion.

But, Latin also has another form, a verb that means "to-be-ruddy", and I could just say, rubeo, which we can't do in English, because it's something like, "I'm ruddying".

"What an odd word," she was like, "When would anyone use it?".

Then, after a pause, she was like, "That would be useful during the Revolutionary War, 'They are red!'".

No comments: