Sunday, August 14, 2011

Another crazy driver.

The other week I was biking out to a festival and when cars were slowing for a stop light, this big (white) SUV veered into the bike lane.

I had to slow down quite a bit, so as I went around it, I saw the window was open and this young early- to mid-20s (white) girl inside with big sunglasses talking on a cell phone, so I was like, "Hey, watch out there's a bike lane!", only she didn't hear me talking, she was so engrossed in her cell phone, so I tapped the window sill of her car to get her attention and tell her the same thing, and she just held her cell phone down and looked at me without taking off her sunglasses.

I was ahead of her going past the light, but then she sped by like mad 5 feet to my left, blaring her horn continuously.

I asked friends what to do in these situations, and my one lawyer friend from Missouri said she's tried calling the cops since sometimes when drivers intimidate bikers their actions fit all the definitions of assault, but the cops don't take her seriously. A different grad student friend of mine said to get the license number, and if you call the police dept (but not on 911; use the 311 line instead) the local police usually tracks down the driver to call them up and tell them to be careful, since if they ever hurt and a biker they're in deep sh-t.

No comments: