Thursday, April 7, 2011

First Communion relic of 1951 or 1952.

Going through old boxes at my great uncle's house, my mom found among her cousin's First Communion stuff a mimeographed sheets that the nuns at his grade school gave him in the 2nd grade back in 1951 or 1952, for his Confession before his First Communion...

It was a list of possible sins to take into the confessional, in case he got flustered and forgot.

Items included (I'm remembering here; perhaps I should scan this in for everyone and post it):

I was late for mass.
I used profane language.
I made fun of old people.
I stole _______ what?
I asked others to steal.
I had impure thoughts.
I saw impure pictures (movies).
I went to non-Catholic services.
I went to fortune tellers.
I ate meat on Fridays.
I wished evil upon my parents, teachers, and priest.

We talked about that list all weekend. I got some coats from my great uncle - they were my size - but I didn't take any pants even though they fit, since they looked too old for me. When my uncle asked again why didn't I take any and I said they were looked too old, my dad raised up his finger and pointed it at me and was like, "Don't make fun of old people!"

My parents also wondered all weekend why a 6 or 7 year-old would know what a fortune teller was.

No comments: