Saturday, January 8, 2011

An Eventful Evening (II of II): Subway Ride Home.

That night when I went home around 9pm, the subway ride was mostly peaceful, except for this one (black) guy who was just a little too old for high school walking between cars and selling candy for a dollar for some cause, and saying “God bless you” to everyone who bought some. I was super-hungry, so I bought a pack of peanut M&Ms, and I wanted to ask him if he was for real, and that I didn’t really care if he wasn’t, but I didn’t, and so after he sold to me he walked through the rest of the car and was like, “Have a blessed night everyone, bless you all!” before opening the door between cars that only the conductor is supposed to open and going on to the next car.


After that, it was just me and some (Asian-American) (female) student sitting behind me reading a book, and this really peaceful looking 20-something (black) girl in a gray hoodie and a leather jacket and some tight jeans and big winter boots, who was just kind of spacing out and staring out the window and was looking like she was relaxing after a long day.


Then, at the Chinatown stop, like 12 (white) early 20s girl who were all done up and in short skirts poured into the car giggling and screaming, and with them came in this huge wafting smell of liquor. The sat all throughout the car and were calling each other’s names and shrieking, and both me and the (black) girl both kind of took deep breaths, and you could tell that we were both thinking “Fuck”... Like 2 minutes later, a (white) girl down at the end of the car was waving around a digital camera and calling out to the people sitting in front of me, “[those 2 girls's names, I can’t remember what they were], WANT TO TAKE A PICTURE, LET’S TAKE A PICTURE!!!!”, and as she held out the camera and was zooming to take a picture of them, I was inspired, and held up my middle finger right between the two girls so it would show up in the picture. At that I could all of a sudden see the (black) girl just burst out into this big happy smile, and I heard a satisfied laugh from the (Asian-American) student-girl behind me.


And, I think some of the other girls noticed, since they started talking quieter after that and I think the whole group caught on that they were being obnoxious.

No comments: