Thursday, January 6, 2011

Some friends's responses to that one Dutch Christmas custom.

I texted a ton of people about the Dutch-Santa’s-helper-in-blackface thing, and these were the responses I got back --

This one Mexican-American undergrad I know from campus who graduated last year and is living at his parents in the suburbs (and who had actually known about this from some tv show he saw a while ago):

Yup, that’s the racist Dutch for ya.

My one (white) friend from Mississippi:

Unbelievable!

My one lawyer friend from Missouri:

I know!! U should read the David Sedaris piece about that. It’s hilarious! I bet u can find it online. I laughed so hard I cried when I read it.

My one friend from Buffalo who’s very petite and stylish and studies Hinduism:

What?! That sounds crazy!


My one friend with the cat:

I think I knew that. Black Peter? Or something like that? The Dutch did not invent pc...


I was surprised that a couple people knew about it, but had never told me, which you think someone would have, considering how much I trash the Dutch.

No comments: