Thursday, December 30, 2010

Forgot - Comment of my one Dutch prof.

I forgot -

I had been reading up on the 15th c., and when I was talking with my one Dutch professor, I mentioned that, and that after I read more, I wanted to sit down with her to ask her about historiography etc.

"And I've been reading some Erasmus," I was like. "I really like him! I think if I had to be anyone from the 15th century, I'd be him."

"I wouldn't," she was like, very pleasantly and directly, in a Dutch way. "In fact, I detest him, he was a coward and a hypocrite, and although he was a self-styled intellectual, he wasn't really a part of the original theological ferment and innovation of the Reformation."

Then, she suggested a biography of him that I should read.

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

So it's his ideas that are admirable, rather than him?