Monday, August 2, 2010

Milwaukee hispanics...

...are so much cooler than elsewhere. Some examples:

1) When I was on the bikepath to the beach, there was these 2 hispanic women walking ahead of me, and as I slowly went around them, they scooted over and were like, "Sorry!", in this heavy accent, and I was like, "Oh no, sorry!", and the one woman was like, "Oh no, it's all good!", and laughed.

2) When I was getting tacos at the local Mexican supermarket - it's a local institution, it was the 1st hispanic supermarket in the area, inside is this huge mural of a bald eagle above stars and stripes and some patriotic slogan (forgot what it is), and then down in the corner the eagle from the Mexican flag - I forgot to order in Spanish from the counterperson, but when he asked me if I wanted it for here, I was like, "Si, para aqui," and at that, this stern, macho Mexican construction worker with a goatee and a cutoff t-shirt at the next stool at the counter just turns to me, and with a really stern look on his face, gave me one approving nod and a thumbs-up, and then turned back to go eat his tacos.

3) After that, the (Mexican) counterguy started a very nice conversation asking me where/why I learned Spanish, when there was a lull in business.

4) Add to that the 2 Puerto Rican women I met in the pizza place that one night...

Overall, it seems like hispanics here are much more well-adjusted and outward-looking than down the coast in chicago - though there African-Americans are more well-adjusted and outward looking.

No comments: