Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back to (black) (I of II): A (black) woman story.

The other day at school I went to the financial aid office, since they had sent me an email that I hadn't filed a form that I actually had back in May, and plus I had a few questions from them.

Now, my backpack I had had this summer had gotten the fuck torn out of it because I was carting around so many books (Latin dictionaries, grammars, etc.), so I had stopped through a store and found a good back-to-school sale, and got this big backpack that not only seems durable and big (for my lunch, books, gym clothes, etc) without seeming too big, but also looks kind of nice, and is gray with these small vertical dark green and black and white stripes intermingled.

"That is one nice backpack," the (black) financial aid woman said as soon as I walked into her office, "Where'd you get it?"

Then, we talked about backpacks forever, and also about shoes, and she told me a couple places to go check out since I need some black sandals (they also got ruined in Milwaukee; it wasn't just my backpack), and she mentioned some store where she and her husband got a matching pair for not much money.

"We had been looking for black, but I got brown, because the brown ones were comfortable, and I go for comfort," she was like.