Friday, June 11, 2010

Rash appt.

I had an appoint for that one rash on my scrotum that turned out to be larvae -

The Infectous Disease people gave me a prescription for 6 pills - 3 in the morning one day, 3 in the evening, and the worm is dead.

But, its eggs will be in my system forever, though that really doesn't matter since the adult worms will have stopped producing them, and they'll be dead, but they'll just be in there, and they'll show up for yours when they take samples from me and run lab tests... The doc used to work in a VA hospital and he remembers that a few years ago they took out colon polyps from a guy who had been in Japanese POW camps in WWII and had the parasite I had for a little bit, and eggs still turned up in the biopsy.

He also told me that the parasite eggs showed up so well on the biopsy, that they could not only ID the genus, but also the species, from this little spine coming off one of the eggs. So, though the dermatology people were going to try to get me to do urine and stool samples, I really didn't have to, that was just them doing it for fun since it was something they didn't see that often.

The dermatology did try to get urine and stool samples from me when they came down to the Infectious Disease floor to talk with me... I did the urine, but the stool collector pan you put in the toilet was really shallow and I was afraid the shit would mound up and hit my ass or splatter back, so I couldn't take one, and the dermatology resident was really disappointed and asked me to take it with me while I went to go get blood taken on a different floor, just in case I needed to go.

He also had a digital camera to take pics of my scrotum, and said that the (black?) nurses out in Infectious Disease were making fun of him, saying he better take good pics if he had such a big camera.

When he showed me the pics, he blew one up to show me the main inflamed part, and I told him to scroll up a bit so he could see where the (small) new spot was.

"Look how subtle it is," he said, pointing out how well it blended with the flesh.

He also said that they were going to use this pics as a "what would you do?" case study for people, because it was a rare case and then the rash symptoms were rare on top of that (most people come in with blood in the urine), so to biopsy the rash or ask about travel history wasn't the obvious thing to do.

He also also said that I might have a permanent, grainy-looking scar from the eggs in my scrotum, though that would only be clear in a month or so once my immune system calmed down, since it might be making the area inflamed and looking really bad.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Still, the whole experience must have made you feel needed, like Riley with the vampires.

Anonymous said...

great post thanks