Sunday, May 30, 2010

Neo-pagans.

Like a year or two I was drinking with a Russian friend at the student bar when my one hippie/stoner friend from Michigan stopped by, and somehow (I'm guessing she was on something?) she started talking out of nowhere about how her family worships the moon, because even if there's nothing behind it, it's a social bonding mechanism - all in all, this really self-knowing, "better than religion" smug kind of thing that was very unlike her.

After she left, my one Russian friend said affably enough that he had a strongly allergic reaction to her, and he can't stand pagan revivalists...

"I pissed away my 20s reading Buddhist philosophy," he was like, but then he proceeded to tell me how he has come back to orthodoxy, only he doesn't go to church, and it's a more-enlightened form where he thinks everyone will be saved.

"The worst thing about neo-pagans," I was like, "Is that if you have to choose your path to hell, why pick those gods? If they ever existed or even if they still do exist, they have no power," and I said those last words very slowly and very dramatically.

He totally agreed.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

I'm sure he did piss away his 20's studying Buddhism. It's amazing how many guys I've seen using warmed over Zen to pick up women.

el blogador said...

No, he was just into the Buddhism.