Saturday, December 12, 2009

2 people: vampires, (black) people on Lady Gaga.

The other day when I was out drinking with friends I ended up being a little drunk and talking with a couple people:

1) A punkish undergrad guy who I ended up talking about "New Moon" with... He was really into it, and I asked him if he liked the whole vampire thing. It turns out he did, and he said he wished he could be one.

"Like in bed?", I was like, and he said yes, and that he wished girls were kinkier in bed.

2) A black woman who I talked with Lady Gaga about when "Bad Romance" came over the sound system. Her face lit up with mild appreciation when I asked her what she thought of the song, and she said she liked Lady Gaga, and though she had talent, and mentioned her songwriting right away.

I find it interesting - black people know she's a singer-songwriter, much more often than white people do, and I think that's tied into the way they respect her (though none are huge fans), which is along the lines of respecting the talent of a Prince or a Stevie Wonder (white people usually don't recognize or care as much who tries to write their own shit, I think).

I also think black women admire her adventurous, individualistic fashion sense... They sense that she's more like them than most white women are, when it comes to fashion.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

#2 is an interesting reflection, but I'm not sure it's accurate.

el blogador said...

Why not?