Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chicken and Waffles: The Shine's off the Apple.

So, on Sat. my one (white) friend from Mississippi and I went out for chicken and waffles at like 8pm, and I was surprised by how nice the restaurant was... They had the lights fashionably dimmed, and nice instrumental jazz playing, and all the (black) people there were dressed up to beat the band. The place was by no means rough around the edges when I was there for lunch, but it was positively swanky at night! Luckily, I had on a black sweater and a collared shirt underneath and then nice jeans, so I looked on the chic side, but my friend had on just a regular long-sleeved collared shit and jeans and tennis shoes, and he felt really under-dressed, as he said later.

Anyhow, they had this dinner combo ("The Ben 'n' Carl") for like $6.90 that was a fried chicken leg and potato salad, so I ordered it, thinking it would be this plateful of homemade potato salad with a chicken leg sitting on top, only to have it come to the table and be a small side-dish of what tasted like bought potato salad, and a single chicken leg. I usually don't get pissed in restaurants, but that price was outrageous, and I was even going to mention something to the manager, but my friend said not to.

He also said he's been back to this one other soul food place a couple times with some other people, and they've enjoyed it, esp. the catfish, which is battered with home-made batter.

He also said the other night he was at a dinner party with people from school, and this one (white) anthro grad student brought her husband, who she had met in AA, and who sells alternative medical things like you see on Oprah (he brought a magnet because the dinner party host hadn't been feeling good, lately, and made him hold it 2 inches away from his cheek for like 10 minutes and was then like, "See, don't you feel better already?, it increases your blood circulation.").

As it turns out, too, the couple had a bet over what would be made for dinner, and if the husband won and the wife lost, she had said she would finally try urine therapy, where you drink your own urine every morning. And, she did lose.

3 comments:

JUSIPER said...

This wasn't Monique's, right?

el blogador said...

It was the same place, different combo platter. It made me realize all the more how great Monique's Love really is.

JUSIPER said...

Wow. I'm really surprised. It seems like such a radically different dining experience.