Sunday, June 7, 2009

Plans for Summer.

Since my one (black) (female) (grew-up-in-the-70s) dean loves disco, and I heard that Donna Summer has one stop in the city in late August for her latest tour, I printed off a blurb from the venue and popped by my dean's office today to ask her "if she had any big plans for Summer."

As it turns out, she was ecstatic, and she's definitely going to go, and she said the week after the concert students start arriving, so it'll be a perfect end to the slow part of the school year.

"And I'll buy you a plastic glass of chardonnay," I was like, and she laughed softly and wrinkled her nose and was like, "Sounds good," and she seemed both touched and pleased.

I also said that I like "On the Radio" and "MacArthur Park", and she said her favorite is "Last Dance" -- I told her that because of the lyrics about a last dance towards the end, I always start humming the David Bowie song "Under Pressure" whenever I see the Donna Summer song, though I know they're not the same -- and that way back when when her one uncle who works for a shoe company in Connecticut and so has money used to host (black) family reunions, he, right when karoake machines came out, used to rent one, and her aunt would always sing Donna Summer's version of "MacArthur Park" and impress everyone.

I also told her how I had texted a friend about whether Donna Summer still has it, and that he texted back -

hell yes

- and she laughed, and loved that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

greatest donna summers album - the four seasons of love.

JUSIPER said...

That was your birth mom. None of the songs you mentioned are my favorite, but "Mac Arthur Park" is something to experience in concert. One of the best things about Donna Summer concerts is the crowd.