Monday, May 25, 2009

Tobit.

Since I finished translating the account of the martyrs of Vienne and Lyons, I've decided to do some translation from the Septuagint (the Greek scriptures that Early Christians came to view as the Old Testament), esp. from those texts that were originally composed in Greek and only survive in Greek, and perhaps to do this in conjunction with a second-career doctoral student I know who is Jewish himself, and studies rabbinics against the background of the Greek and Roman world.

Anyhow, all at the end of last week I was translating Tobit, and I couldn't put it down, esp. since I got to the part where a bird shits in his eye and he goes blind.

But, right before that, my pen ran out (the pen I use to write down vocab words I don't know onto index cards, so I have the vocab handy again if I ever have to pick up the text and translate it or teach it), and I had to ransack my house for a working pen, only to find that there was only one left in my entire house, and that it was from Jewish Theological Seminary, since a rabbi from there who came to speak on campus last year gave out free pens at the end of his talk!

So, I thought that that was very appropriate to use in writing down words from a Jewish text, but then I remembered that my last pen was from a bank, and that that was kind of appropriate too.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

You're a disgrace. Btw, is it possible that a bird shit in your pen and that was why it stopped writing?

el blogador said...

I forgot -

Like two months ago I was walking up the block to turn to go into my door, and from half a block away I saw this bird shit fly down and land between the dollar store owner and the produce store owner, who were outside smoking and chatting with one another, and they jumped back. They were very lucky it didn't hit them.