Monday, April 20, 2009

Weekend (II of II): Saturday night.

So, on Saturday night I went to hipster karaoke.

Now, the last time I went to karaoke, at the gyros lounge downtown, I had the most successful three-song set I've ever done in my life over the course of the night - Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind", then later Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show's "Sylvia's Mother", and then later and last Three Dog Night's "Old-Fashioned Love Song", which I really rocked out on and made the Greek owner really get into it, especially the variations on the lyric "just just/ an old song" I did towards the end when that line repeated a lot; everyone loved everything else too, including this older blonde woman who smiled when she heard the Dr. Hook start up, though Patrice liked my one friend's rendition of a country song I forget the name of, she said it was her favorite song -- but this time everything was different at hipster karaoke.

For one, there were these drunken mid-20s former frat boys there who had showed up hammered from the baseball game that had just gotten out, and they dominated the singing all night (or at least the part of the night that we were there, we left pretty quick)...

The very first song they sang - first song of the night! - it was some 80s hard rock, and they bounced around, and into the host. They sucked it up so much and were so obnoxious and out of place, I started to boo them, and was secretly hoping that I'd get in a fight. One of them was very tall, and since the ceilings were so low, he sat on a stool with the two others when they later sang "You Never Even Called Me By My Name". One of the others, though, was like four feet tall and baseball-capped and heavily-muscled - they were like opposites - so I kept yelling, "Hobbit, you suck!", and, "Get the fuck back to the Shire!", but I don't think he heard me.

I sang the Doors's "Love Her Madly", which I did okay on but does not make for a good karaoke song (repetitious lyrics and melody, long instrumental breaks), and my friend did Hank Williams's "Jambalaya", which the short Latino bartender who's a Korean war veteran really liked.

The other bartender also poured short on my whiskey on the rocks, and when he noticed it, he came over with the Jameson and gave me a few more shots.