Friday, March 13, 2009

"Rejigger".

The other day when I was talking with a (black) faculty assistant friend, I used the word "rejigger", and she was like, "What?", and I defined it as tinkering around till something works again, like you jigger with something first, and then it breaks down, so you rejigger with it till you get it going again, and it wasn't until later in the day when I used the word a second time (because it had been on my mind, likely), that I realized she probably thought it was racial, and that I explained the word naively she just let it go, probably since she had never heard it before either.

Anyhow, I just OEDed it and there's no derivation, so I'm not sure if I was in the wrong or not. I'll have to talk with her next week and see if that is indeed what she thought, and whether I should stop using it.

No comments: