Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Restaurants and organizers.

Yesterday me and a friend biked down to try out that new soul food restaurant where the owner had given me a free sample of bread pudding after I talked with him at an intersection where I was stopped on my bike and he was going from car to car handing out free fliers, only, when we got there, we discovered the place is closed Mondays and Saturdays, so instead my friend suggested we go up to this other restaurant he's been to before, so we went there.

The place was founded in 1918 and by the subway stop in this bad part of town, and we walked in the restaurant and we were the only white people there. I got smothered pork chops, and my friend got pancakes and turkey sausage, and when some black ladies at the next table got up and left their cornbread muffins untouched, we asked the (black) waitress next time she swung by if we could get them, and she was like, "Sure," and walked over and picked up a plate of two muffins and came back and put them down between us and was like, "I'm not getting the other two since the lady left other garbage on her plate."

Later, my friend said that when he had been an interim pastor at his church last summer, a community organizer had taken him there for lunch, and he said he never even knew about the restaurant even though it's two blocks south of his house, since there's a racial line in town that people just don't cross. That made me really pissed off about Sarah Palin, about how she's so out of touch where she mocks community organizers and the serous social problems they deal with... I wonder how diverse her town in Alaska is, and if it has a native presence.

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

I thought Rudy was the one who mocked community organizers. Did she do it as well?