Monday, September 29, 2008

My mom's not sorry for Sarah Palin.

When I talked to my mom this weekend she mentioned the Palin-Couric interview, and she was saying she overheard some librarians at work talking about it in back, but she didn't catch what they were saying.

"She's such a lamekovite," my mom was like, "Like I was telling everyone about her convention speech, anyone with a teleprompter and Speech 101 can give a speech, you're just reading off a teleprompter."

"She's a what?", I was like.

"A lamekovite, it's someone who's really lame, it's a word your father uses."

"Oh," I was like, "How does he spell it?"

"I don't know," my mom said, "I don't think I've ever seen him spell it."

Then, when I started saying that I was kind of feeling bad for Sarah Palin since it's so obvious that she's out of her league, my mom was like, "Don't you go feeling sorry too fast, when she had power she liked to hire and fire and make it felt and throw it around, so she could have said no, but she didn't, she wanted it too much, so don't go feeling bad for her all of a sudden."

On another note, my mom's recent worry is that I do too much stuff, and she said that she googled "physical exhaustion" the other day at work to find out side effects.

"Oh," I was like, "so you think I have physical exhaustion?"

"No," my mom was like, "I just want to be ready when the time comes," and then she added how she was saying all the stuff I do to one of the librarians at work, this really quiet laconic woman who's divorced with teenagers and is kind of mousy though cute, and that woman just listened for a while while my mom was going off and then was like, "Your son would have been fun during the 60s."

On yet another note, I've been thinking about the anti-intellectualism of Sarah Palin and George W. Bush, and how it's not so much anti-intellectualism, though it is, but it's better described as this folk-wisdom approach where common sense from the heartland trumps elite learned knowledge. Only, with Sarah Palin, it shows how that kind of thing when successful is politics is more a posture than a genuine personality, since it takes a lot of privilege like Bush's Yale education and wealthy family and travel and policy knowledge to pull it off as an act; Sarah Palin doesn't seem to have had any of that, so her posture, which seems more genuine, doesn't work, since she flubs the details and comes off as out of her league and not having the command of the facts that you decimate and slice through with your folk wisdom. It's very odd, that only the privileged can pull off folk wisdom in politics, and kind of contradictory.

3 comments:

JUSIPER said...

You would have been fun in the 60's? What exactly did she mean by that, I wonder.

I am not sure you're any more active now than you were in college, are you? You've always had a huge store of energy for anything you find worth doing.

JUSIPER said...

I like how your mom put an end to your defense of palin.

el blogador said...

Just that more was happening then, and I would have been fun.

I don't think I have any more energy either, I just have more money to go out and do things.