Monday, June 9, 2008

Making friends (III of III): Subway car.

So, I was on the subway car going home yesterday, and I was on the seat facing forward where right in front of you there's two seats directly against the wall, so those people stare out into the center of the car, while you sit there looking at them.

Anyhow, right in front of me was this late 40s kind of plump woman -- the kind of fat that fills out her wrinkles for the moment and makes her look a little younger, though she isn't -- in a black top and white capri pants, and tasteful pearl earrings, and she was talking with her friend about some wedding in Australia, and some cup that was a gift for the couple and how she saw it online and how cute it was, and how she should see it, and stuff like that, so I pulled out my book I had bought at the bookfair and started reading it:


After about thirty seconds, the woman kind of looked to see what I was reading even though I had kept the cover down -- she was a nosy type, I felt, so I kept the cover down since I knew it would make her want to look even more -- and as soon as she saw it, she stopped mid-sentence talking to her friend, and this shocked and appalled look crept across her face. I kept reading, and like three or four times in the next ten minutes I saw her sneak a suspicious glance at me, like, "What kind of person would be reading this book?"


Also, though you can't see it here, the actual book has a little red swastika in the lower right corner, too.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Oh my God.

el blogador said...

I love how the book is by a rabbi. If it wasn't, people would give me flak for reading it. If it's by a rabbi, it's somehow all right.