Monday, June 9, 2008

Making friends (I of III): Bookfair.

So, I went to this outdoors bookfair on Saturday, and not only did in rain, which pushed booksellers towards lower prices, but it also was towards closing time, which pushed booksellers towards lower prices. Only, at the last booth, I was joking it up with one of the young booksellers -- I was asking if they had any 70s diet books that advised women to throw up, and when he laughed, I was like, "Hey, but that shit totally happened," and he found that even funnier -- and they had reduced prices to $3 each or 2 for $5, when I came across this one large-format book with a lot of pictures from the late 70s on how to be a mime, which would have been cool for like 10 cents at a Salvation Army store, but totally wasn't worth $3. So, I asked the one young bookseller if I could have it for a dollar, and he was like, "I have to price check with my boss," and when he turned to ask his boss, who was also around our age and was busy breaking a table down, the guy turned to me and stood there and just made this sour face, so I was like, "Okay," and set the book down and left.

No comments: