Sunday, September 23, 2007

A circa-World War II fundamentalist hatred.

I'm reading the history of Chicago's Pacific Garden Mission, the granddaddy of urban missions with meals and prayer services. A prominent fundamentalist wrote it, so it's more like a hagiography than a history proper, but it's still fun. He's writing a little after WWII and tries to paint a picture of the sins and vices that cluster around the part of downtown where the mission is, so he talks a lot about gin halls and loose women and their procurers and whatnot, but every once in a while (actually, twice) he mentions how among the storefronts there are lady barbers, which he mentions with disdain but obviously to titillate his readers, though I'm not sure why they're so scandalous.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

It seems like in every barbershop I've ever been to, I've been told I could wait for 15 minutes or I could go right away if I didn't mind having a woman cut my hair.

el blogador said...

Perhaps having a woman razor your neck is somehow improper?