Thursday, July 19, 2007

Was looking for a red onion.

My parents are growing some tomatos and hot peppers in pots on our front porch, and so I bought some cucumbers and tomatos and a red onion at a farmer's market the other day to make a salad and use up the hot peppers. (I had to buy tomatos since ours weren't ripe yet.) When I went the next day to get the red onion, though, I couldn't find it anywhere in the fridge or on the counter, and when I went to look in this big ceramic pot on the landing to the basement, I saw that a white onion in the bin was moldy, so I picked it up to throw it out, but the mold that was all on one side fell down as soon as I picked up the onion. It turns out the mold was actually a dried-out bat that was clinging to the side of the onion. It beat the hell out of me and my dad how the bat got to be there -- my dad said not to ask my mom because he didn't want her to know about it -- but then my dad remembered that he had taken a bag of onions to hunting camp like a few weeks ago. He's thinking that the bat crawled in and was sleeping there, and then it got crushed to death between some onions in its sleep when he picked up the bag to take it home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are back blogging!!!

the pagan