Sunday, August 18, 2024

Unpleasant (South Asian) customers (1 of 2): A new customer.

The other week when I was working lunch shift and it was busy – lunch shifts are typically only two people – multiple tables walked in at once, including a (younger) (South Asian) couple who my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker went to go help while I was helping another table, and then all of a sudden she was like, “I’m going to get ice cream” – i.e., that she had to go all the way down to the basement cooler, to get ice cream for some order, and to keep a watch on everything since I'm now all by myself.

Finally, too, after they left, she was like, “Did you see that?”, and she told me that the (woman) of the couple had ordered ice cream with their meal, and when she asked her when she wanted it, the woman looked her in the eye and was like, “Now.  NOW” – and then, when she stopped everything to go get it right then and especially when her work was needed with the other tables who had walked in around then, not to mention everything else that was going on, the woman did not even touch the ice cream, but ate it after the couple's entrees were served and they’d eaten them.

Later that day, I was on the bus and we were stopped at the light, so I took a picture and sent it to my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker and texted her something like “Bus, make the light turn green. Now. NOW.”

Over the course of the evening I also sent her several more jokes like that.

. . .

(Tip was $2 on the couple's like $35 bill…  I said that if I had known all that was going on, I would have left a dish on their table to come back and clear after they had signed the check, and when I did that, I would have pretended to notice the check and been like, “Oh, was everything okay? We brought you your ice cream right away,” and I would have mentioned something too about how we even got them the specific to-go box they wanted, since the lady wanted a different takeout container than what normally goes with the food, which we had initially brought out when they asked for to-go boxes and then had to go return and go get her another one.)

. . .

(After this incident, too, my one [chubby] [Thai] coworker started to reminisce about [South Asian] customers with water problems, where they send water back and say it’s too cold and then they say they want hot water, only when you bring that out to them, then they say it’s too hot, she says she’s had this happen several times, and while she's telling me all of this, she says that she really wants to go to a[n Indian] restaurant and behave there like [Indian] customers do at ours… A few days after that, too, she says that once when it was really raining and she got something from DoorDash, she was thinking of giving extra money to the Dasher when they showed up, but when they did, they were [Indian], so she was like, ehhhh, and didn’t, and when I said that that wasn't good and she should have given them the money, she said that she had already given the standard tip through the app, this was about whether she gave an extra tip.)

No comments: