Tuesday, May 7, 2024

New neighbor update.

Since I met him, I've seen my new neighbor a few more times, the small streaked-fur brown-and-light-brown bunny who is very small, and who doesn't know how to behave yet.

One afternoon I look out my window because a small movement catches my eye, and there he is by the firepit in the backyard.

Then, suddenly, he bolts, as a large-ish grey squirrel languidly hops towards him and gets like four feet away from where he is, like reaching right by where he was, like twenty seconds after he's gone.

Another time, too, I go outside one afternoon as I'm talking on the phone, and there he is, and he looks at me and he just stays there, even though I came out to like within six feet of where he is.

Then, suddenly, like a minute later as I'm still standing there in the same position as where I had stopped right when I came out, he bolts, since I guess something freaked him out at that point, though damned if I know what it was.

Somehow I feel that it's animals like him who got close to humans to the point where it led to domestication, if they survived.

No comments: